Our minds create our reality— meaning that what we think becomes our feelings, our attitudes, and our projections of the world. It is a very powerful tool, indeed—the mind. Many people forget that the mind controls everything, from our senses to our health. By obtaining control of our mind we can tame the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of our lives. When we have control of the mind nothing is impossible.
This article will help you begin meditation throughout the day using the benefits of mindfulness.
What is Mindfulness?
Think about your day. Was it full of thoughts about past regrets and future duties? Did you have control of these thoughts? How did these thoughts make you feel?
Most likely, these thoughts created anxiety, fear, and maybe even depression. You have no control over the past or future—you only exist in the present. By being mindful, you live only in the moment. You handle situations as they are presented to you in a clear and focused manner. And you understand that your reactions can have either a positive or negative effect—it is all up to you. Once you realize these concepts, you will begin to understand how much control your mind can have on your life.
You can begin anytime and anywhere. It can be as simple as taking a deep breath before you react, or stepping away from a stressful circumstance until you can control your thoughts and actions.
Even more beneficial are short meditation sessions during the day. Research has proven that daily mindful meditation can result in a transformation of your body and mind. When the physical and mental self are in tune, the soul reemerges as a true essence of love and compassion.
You might first notice the changes to your body when practicing mindfulness:
- Increases your ability to cope with difficult tasks and reduces symptoms of stress: anxiety, insomnia, irritability, headaches, muscle pain, tension, and acne or other skin issues.
- Improves your immune system and the ability to fight diseases.
- Ignites your body’s natural power to restore cells by increasing the presence of telomerase in your genes.
- Aids in weight loss as you begin to be more aware of your health and eating habits.
- Lowers blood pressure by decreasing the amount of cortisol in your blood.
Then you will discover the improvements to your brain functions:
- Improves focus and lengthens your attention span.
- Increases gray matter in the brain which heightens memory responses, provides a sense of self-awareness, and develops empathetic feelings.
- Connects new parts of the brain due to an increase in myelin, which reduces mental illness and depression.
- Regulates cortical alpha rhythms, which allows us to control emotional and pain receptors leading to more logical and sensible decision-making.
As you increase your practice of mindful meditation, you will begin to see major changes in how you view yourself and the world around you:
- Develops your capacity to look inward, take responsibility, and know what you want out of life.
- Removes superficial judgments, jealousy, and resentment by comprehending that what exists inside yourself also exists in all creatures.
- Enhances intuitive and trustful ways of comprehending how the world functions, thus becoming more accepting of the good and the bad. Everything happens for a reason as the world must involve an innate duality to exist.
- Feelings of being guided by a spiritual path or destiny once you start connecting to your soul’s purpose. You will be carefree and confident.
Guided By the Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation
Mindfulness meditation acts as a guide to a spiritual awakening. You may first begin mindfulness as a way to relieve stress and cope with your emotions, but once you see the effect it has on your whole being, you won’t want to stop.
Leave us a comment below, telling us how you got started with mindfulness.