There are over 100 different types of yoga to choose from. So, which one do you choose?
Kundalini yoga is becoming more popular as people discover the energetic benefits of this ancient practice. As its main purpose is to promote a kundalini awakening.
Read on to find out how to use yoga asanas for kundalini awakening to occur.
What is Kundalini Awakening?
A kundalini awakening happens when the dormant divine energy that sits at the base of your spine unravels. It then travels up your spine through your 7 chakras. When it reaches the crown chakra, a spiritual awakening happens.
How Does Yoga Awaken Kundalini?
Kundalini yogi poses for root chakra activation first helps the hidden Shakti (energy) to become recognized. This is where fear of the unknown lies, so once you accept that divinity also exists inside you then fear disintegrates. With no fear, you can access your full potential.
After Kundalini is conscious, it will slowly move up the spine. However, yoga is the perfect medium to know how to awaken kundalini quickly and safely. This is because yoga practices control through pranayama exercises, meditation, and most importantly asanas that trigger the chakra energy points in the body.
Asanas for Kundalini Awakening
The best part about a kundalini yoga sequence it that is gentle, soothing, and simple. Anyone can start doing kundalini yoga without prior experience.
As you practice these kundalini poses focus on opening up the chakras of your body. The poses promote movement and breathing to release negative energy to make room for the new energy about to be released.
Let’s get started with these simple kundalini yoga postures.
1. Spinal Flex
Consider this kundalini asana as a sitting cat-cow pose. The movement of this pose helps release tension built up at the root chakra and prepare yourself for a kundalini awakening.
- Sit in easy pose with your legs crossed in a sitting position.
- Place your hands on your ankles.
- As you breathe in, extend your chest forward in cow pose.
- On your exhale, curve your spine backward into a cat pose.
- Continue several back and forth movements.
You can close your eyes and focus on kundalini uncoiling as a serpent awakening from your base of the spine.
2. Shoulder Lifts
After you finish with the spinal flex take a few moments of stillness. Then easily go into shoulder lifts.
This asana for kundalini awakening also relieves tension in the shoulder and back.
- Stay in easy pose on your mat.
- Place your hands on your knees.
- With your inhale, lift one shoulder up.
- Hold your shoulder up until you exhale and bring it back to rest.
- Alternate shoulders for 1-2 minutes.
Keep your eyes closed and focus on your sacral chakra as the kundalini beings to rise.
3. Shoulder Twists
Continue lengthening your upper torso with this kundalini yoga pose. The movement extends further to not only stretch and loosen your back and shoulders but your chest as well.
Breathing during shoulder twists rejuvenates your lungs and improves air circulation.
- Again, stay in easy pose.
- Place your fingertips on each of the same shoulder.
- Keep your elbows at shoulder height.
- As in inhale, twist using your shoulder as the guide to your left.
- As you exhale, turn to your right.
- Continue this motion, turning your head gently with your twists.
This pose for awakening kundalini extends your protective aura as the movement raises your vibration from the inside out.
4. Sufi Grinding
Get kundalini moving up your spine with this rotating pose that acts like a funnel of energy. It also releases tension and negative energy from the solar plexus chakra.
- Still in easy pose, keep your hands on your knees.
- Use your spine as an axel as you use your torso to rotate counterclockwise.
- Inhale as you come forward and exhale as you move backward.
- Switch directions after several rotations.
This asana focuses on your thoracic spine as well as your abdomen. It is a powerful tool to assist in a kundalini awakening.
5. Alternate Leg Stretches with Lift
The next movement will go beyond your core and extend to your limbs. It also opens the pelvis to further activate the sacral chakra.
- Coming out of easy pose, release your legs in front of you.
- Extend your left leg out to your side and bend the right leg.
- Bring your right leg’s foot to your left inner thigh.
- Inhale as you grasp the left leg’s toes with both hands.
- Try to touch your face to your knee or thigh.
- Exhale and bring the right arm over your head and place it next to your right thigh.
- Bring your left arm above your head as you are placing your right hand on the ground.
- Lift your hip as your left hand extends over your head in line with your left leg.
- Keep your balance on your left foot and right hand.
Try to keep your hip, knee, and extended arm in line. Repeat several times on one side then switch to the opposite side.
5. Bridge Pose
Give your Shakti a push toward your heart chakra with this asana. The name is fitting as it will create a bridge for kundalini to rise up as your heart center opens.
- Lie on your back.
- Bend your legs and place your feet on the ground in line with your hips.
- Lift your hips off the ground.
- Grasp your hands together under your lower back.
- Inhale as you push up on your shoulders and feet, lifting your hips higher.
- Exhale as you come back to the mat.
- Repeat several times.
Push your chest up and focus on your heart chakra spiraling open.
6. Corpse Pose or Lotus Pose
Finish your kundalini yoga sequence in a corpse or yoga pose to relax and activate your crown chakra.
- Lie on your back with your hands at your side, palms facing up.
- Or, sit in lotus pose with your legs crossed and your hands in a mudra on your knees.
- Close your eyes and take long deeps breaths as you watch kundalini reach your third eye.
Once you fall into a meditative state imagine kundalini releasing from your crown, out into the cosmos. Yet, this energy is still connected to your body by a glowing white or gold light. The light extends through all your 7 chakras and grounds you to the core of the earth.
Feel Relaxed Yet Energized After a Kundalini Awakening
The best part about asanas for a kundalini awakening is that you feel the release of physical, mental, and spiritual blockages. This creates a sense of calm while activating divine energy within you.
Find out more about a kundalini awakening and how it can help cleanse past karma in this lifetime here.